Thursday, January 8, 2009

Buying Jeans No Longer Worse Than Swimsuit Shopping


I have to admit, shopping for a new pair of jeans makes me feel about as great as seeing my cellulite staring back at me when I try on a swimsuit. Well, until now.
I spent my morning with Loree Lindgren of Hem, a jean boutique just behind the Tavern off of 12th street in Downtown Austin, trying on jeans. Let me tell you, these ladies know how to make a woman look and feel fantastic in jeans.

I walked in, she took a look at my shape, asked me my size and pulled six pairs of jeans from the racks and shelves there at Hem. Um, my back side has never looked better! I wanted to buy all six!!! Hem carries more than 50 different lines of jeans.

“You said you’re kind of curvy so you’re going to want to go with something that’s a little bit higher, not high rise or anything but you don’t need something low either.” Said Lindgren. "If you’re going to do one great pair of jeans, go dark. This is going to be a much dressier look.”

Loree also told me to keep pocket placement in mind.

“I always say go for a slightly larger pocket nothing over but as long as it’s hitting you in the right spot it’s actually going to flatter.” Said Lingren

Because jeans will stretch, buy them a little snug at the top of the leg and at the bottom of your rear end. If you find a pair of jeans that fit every where but in the length or the waist band, buy the jeans and get them altered.

“Especially us women who are curvy, can’t be afraid of alterations. By tailoring it you're creating a pair of custom fit jeans. If you’re talking a little gape in the back it’s really an easy alteration to take care of.” Said Lindgren.

“We always say wash them first before you get them tailored if you can especially a darker jean that hasn’t been through the washing process because it is possible they’ll shrink up a little bit.” recommended Lindgren.

The most important way to ensure a great fit is an open mind.

“As long as someone has an open mind and is ready to try something maybe a little different than they have in the past, it kind of opens up the possibilities and there you’ll find a great pair of jeans.” said Lindgren.

To care for jeans wash them inside out in cold water and wear them often between washings. To freshen a pair of jeans, throw them in the freezer overnight. The freezing temps kill the bacteria..

Hem is located on West 12th street just behind the Tavern. They carry jeans for both men and women. In women sizes they carry from size double zero up to size 18.

For more info, go to www.hemjeans.com
Be sure to watch my story on Hem: http://www.news8austin.com/content/living/fashionably_8/?ArID=228623

No comments: